Thursday, July 8, 2010

There's Something About Mary

We follow the Farrelly Brothers over to There’s Something About Mary. I have only reviewed two comedies thus far and disliked them both. I order to prove I do have a sense of humor, here is a comedy I actually like.

You may be inclined to accuse me of hypocrisy. Yesterday, I blasted Dumb and Dumber for its slapstick and gross out humor, both of which are abundant in There’s Something About Mary. What raises the movie up a notch or two is the main characters of Mary Matthews (Camero Diaz) and Ted Stroehmann (Ben Stiller.) they are far more likable than Harry and Lloyd. I actually care whether these two wind up happily ever after.

I am certain the different dynamic plays a factor. Harry and Lloyd were unsympathetic doofuses, unintentionally mean spirited, but man spirited in their stupidity nevertheless. In There’s Something About Mary, has decent motivations--he wants a private detective to track down his almost prom date whom he isstill I love with--but all sorts of rotten things happen to him along the way. I can appreciate that. Make me care about the character and hi goal, then force him up a tree and throw rocks at him.

The main bad guy of the movie is the sleazy private detective, Pat Healy (Matt Dillon.) He finds Mary, but falls for her, too. He then tries every dirty trick in the book to win her affection while keeping Stroehmann at bay.

The twist is pretty much every guy falls for Mary. Each has his own less than savory way of trying to woo her. I found their competition often tasteless, but very hilarious. Do appreciate the compliment for what it is. Cameron Diaz does not do it for me, so to convincingly make her the obsessive object of affection of numerous guys is no small feat.

The film ends with the pay off on the running gag of who Mary’s ex Brett really is, the fourth wall gets broken to good effect, and there is a typical Hollywood happy ending that you can see coming if you haveever seen any movie about a good guy chasing after his true love. There’s Something About Mary is a no brainer, but its bawdy, political incorrectness is a joy to behold.

Rating: *** (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment